Question:
Is C++ difficult to learn?
2009-07-11 20:57:52 UTC
I'm trying to figure out how to mod a video game and some of the files are in C++. Most are in XML and I haven't had any trouble tweaking those.

I'm not an expert but I do know how to code in PHP, JavaScript, and some limited XML. I used to know Java and VB but not used in the past 5 years.
Ten answers:
2009-07-11 22:06:57 UTC
C++ is, of all the languages, probably the most difficult to learn (different styles of programming, such as functional programming or aspect-oriented programming, are another issue). Although others have said this, it is NOT true that C++ is the same as Java, or Javascript or VB or any other language. It's not even the same as C. The only similarity between these languages is superficial, as they use fairly similar syntax (curly braces { and } define blocks of code, use of if and for and so on.

C++ is a derivative of C which brings in Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). However, it also contains a few anachronisms inherited from C (pointer arithmetic, inline assembler, and a variety of other issues that I would probably term "stupidities"). C++ is an improper superset of C (it bans certain words, such as "private" and "class" from being used as identifiers, which C does not).

The syntax of the language is trivial in most cases. The difficulties come in when you get into the nasty bits of its (convoluted) object-programming system and the fiddly bits of its syntax. There are entire books documenting odd behaviours that you sometimes encounter on alternate Thursdays in the odd-numbered months of the year whenever your computer is facing North. The problems are compounded when you want to try compiling something for multiple operating systems, especially if you're using different compilers on each OS.

That said, it's totally doable. Just learn C first, and understand pointers and addresses. Then, move into C++, but don't expect its OOP system to make any sense compared with Java's.
Joni
2016-04-06 03:38:00 UTC
Not if you already know the fundamentals of programming. Otherwise, trying to learn how to program with a language that has cryptic syntax like C/C++ will take some time(but not impossible). I always suggest new people to first learn a easy language like Visual Basic or some other language that uses the basic programming language syntax. DarkBasic, FreeBasic, BlitzBasic, RealBasic, and countless others just take your choice. You will learn the fundamentals of programming like arrays, pointers, loops, variables, etc.. and concepts like file I/O , memory allocation, along with good programming habits faster then you would with C/C++, Java, C# or any other complex langauge. After learning the above picking up C/C++ will be a lot easier.
2009-07-11 21:02:24 UTC
It's not THAT bad--if you're comfortable in PHP and Java, then you can probably hack it without too much problem. The hardest part will probably be adjusting to the way that it handles pointers and memory allocation (most of which Java handles for you automatically).
Sam B
2009-07-11 21:01:51 UTC
damn ignore those stupid answers cause they don't make anysense.(Meli, it master)

C++ is an object oriented programming language doesn't have anything to do with html. (html is for kids)

a lot of companies are switching from c++ to c#

and c# is kinda easier than C++, so it's better if u learn c# instead.

is it hard? depends on u. ( but since u haven't done any real programming it's gonna take u a while)

other easy languages???

depends on what u wanna do. website or application?

(app) The easiest programmin language that u can learn is vb.net

(web) Asp.net is pretty easy to learn too

by the way linux is an operating system not a programming language
ƦץAᶮ
2009-07-11 21:17:20 UTC
Its like learning german, or spanish. yes its hard. PHP is very similar to C++, and i believe JavaScript is based off of C++, so if you know Java, you know C++.
korgrue
2009-07-11 21:01:30 UTC
Java is built on C++. If you know Java, you know C++.

The syntax is almost identical.

The main difference is the class structure.
2009-07-11 21:01:07 UTC
if you know PHP, then c++ should be fairly easy for you to understand because a lot of the coding is very similar. gl!
2009-07-11 21:09:18 UTC
You know Java but do not know C/C++??

Thats strange. Shouldn't be difficult though considering that you know Java and so many other languages.
♥Katie♥
2009-07-11 21:00:48 UTC
It's like learning another language. Yes, it's hard.
2009-07-11 21:01:01 UTC
youtube ---search for C++