Question:
To learn a programming language how much do i need to know?
2012-07-08 03:20:36 UTC
hello all
i just wanted to know how much you should know about a language(python) to move on to another language(java,c++), please go into extreme detail, and i am not using tkinter i'm using wxpython.

and please any additional advice for a 14 year old(me) who wants to be a game programmer will be much appreciated
thanks all
Six answers:
justme
2012-07-08 08:44:20 UTC
You don't need to know anything about python or any other language to move to java or c++. If you want to learn one of them just do it. If anything C would help you learn one of those, but it isn't necessary.
The_Doc_Man
2012-07-09 03:58:10 UTC
You are getting answers all over the map. Let me take a shot at it.

Programming requires skills of organization and the ability to pay attention to detail. There is also more to game programming than some people think.

Questions to consider: Are you going to build your own game engine? Then you need to understand the physics of light and momentum. Are you going to try for a realistic look-and-feel for your game world? Then toss in the geometry of perspective. Learn the concept of ray-tracing, which is one of the more popular methods of building a game image on a screen. All of these things need math. Maybe not advanced calculus, but certainly you would need a thorough grounding in algebra and geometry.

If you would be content using someone else's game engine, you need to learn principles of design and layout according to whatever model is being used. Artistic and architectural design wouldn't hurt if you are dealing with a realistic city environment. Nature art wouldn't hurt for outdoor scenarios.

If you want to do actual programming then you need to understand programming structure concepts. For that, languages such as C or BASIC are invaluable, particularly the visual versions of those languages. Object-oriented programming is important, too.

One last issue: Anybody can learn simple-minded programs. However, in the computer industry, it is not that you can program, but that you can apply your programming skills to a specific type of problem. That is true whether you are a designer of operating systems, business programs, scientific programs, or games. If you don't understand the underlying problem, being the best programmer in the world gets you nothing. Therefore, don't focus on a single issue.
dazabas
2012-07-08 10:27:17 UTC
Well, you should just attempt to pickup the language you want to know, I personally have always been afraid to learn low level languages like C and C++, I waited many years thinking I don't need it, its too hard, all sorts of nonsense, I regret it, I think you can pick it up when you feel you want to, sure some concepts may be difficult to grasp like design patterns and algorithms, so hey better start early!
?
2012-07-08 10:33:58 UTC
All you need to know to get started is how to navigate to the tutorials on thenewboston.org

Just to give you a headstart, here is a link to the page:

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php
2012-07-09 00:37:36 UTC
Like the other guy said...

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php

is all you need. Also Java2s.com after you get familiar with programming it has code sample for almost everything...
2012-07-08 10:21:56 UTC
Go to a computer class to learn them. Ask a computer expert.