Question:
Can someone give me a simple example of "Change Management"?
avp071
2006-05-30 14:12:37 UTC
This is a very popular catch phrase in todays IT world but it is a bit vague if you are not actually part of the Change Management team. However I know that it is probably something really simple with a fancy name. . .
Four answers:
dcgirl
2006-05-30 14:22:46 UTC
It's the process of managing change. Each company will handle it differently. It's how the company deals with changes to the environment so that proper testing of all changes is done, end users are notified of any upcoming outages while the change is happening, a backout plan is created before the change happens, the change gets done on time and the documentation gets done. A good change management policy/procedure will help prevent people from just randomly changing the network configuration, and will let you go back later and understand what's been changed even if no one who made the changes still works there.

For example, a server admin who wants to put a patch on a server would need to:

-Prepare a statement or record that the change is coming and explain why it's being done

-Test the patch on non-production systems

-Prepare a backout plan so people are not scrambling if something does not go right

-Have some peers check to make sure the instructions look good and don't cause any hidden problems

-Notify the users

-Implement the change

-Write a wrap-up document describing any unexpected impact or the general success of the change.
Gandalf the Grey
2006-05-30 14:56:44 UTC
In an IT project, it's the process by which you manage specification changes.

In an unmanaged project, most client's requests are accepted, thus having and endless, costly project which very likely won't satisfy your customer's needs.

Let's say you're in a team developing a payroll system. Specs should include all inputs, outputs, processes, budget, etc., and should be signed on a contract. Part of the contract is the change procedure, including a change request form the customer can use. If the customer needs changes, she should request it to the project manager, who gathers a change management team who analyze the change request and give a verdict: can't be done, or can be done with a cost: time, money, usually both.

The idea is that customers are made aware that changes cost, and that they should put a lot of effort in the requirements specification stage.
Popocatepetl
2006-05-30 14:40:06 UTC
Change Management

is the process, tools and techniques to manage the people-side of change processes, to achieve the required outcomes, and to realize the change effectively within the individual change agent, the inner team, and the wider system.

There are a multitude of concepts on Change Management and it is very difficult to distil a common denominator from all the sources that are applying the phrase to their mental maps of organizational development. But obviously there is a tight connection with the concept of learning organizations. Only if organizations and individuals within organizations learn, they will able to master a positive change. In other words, change is the result from an organizational learning process that centres around the questions: 'In order to sustain and grow as an organization and as individuals within; what are the procedures, what is the know-how we need to maintain and where do we need to change?', and, 'How can we manage a change, that is in harmony with the values we hold as individuals and as organizations?'
?
2006-05-30 14:14:55 UTC
Change management

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out that link below.... Its got all your answers...