Question:
Unix ssh and scp questions.?
rara
2007-12-05 15:54:17 UTC
We know ssh and scp. How are these different from rsh and rcp? Explain it detailedly.

Thank you guys so much. I will really appreciate it.
Three answers:
Joe P
2007-12-06 10:04:24 UTC
In a nutshell, these two sets of utilities look very similar and provide similar functions, but with rsh and rcp, data is exchanged between two systems in an unsecure manner. Text is sent "clear text", meaning anyone with the capability of examining the network traffic will see it all plainly (even passwords!). Binaries are not encrypted, so pictures, programs, documents, etc. can all be intercepted and used by unintended recipients. With ssh and scp, all data sent is encrypted. Additionally, with these two utilities as well as others that use SSH as the transport layer, there are some ways to enhance authentication using private / public key pairs. In fact, password authentication can be turned off altogether. The only way to establish a connection then is to be in possession of a private (software) key, which will authenticate with a matching public key on the remote machine. Then nobody can connect as you by guessing your password, you just have to remember to keep your private key private! SSH type connections give you one more protection. Each remote machine to which you connect has a "host key", which is unique to that machine. Any time you connect to one, your ssh software will check to see if the host key has changed since the last time you connected. If it has, you'll get a warning that someone may have "spoofed" the name / address of the remote machine. If you have no reason to think that the host key should have changed (replacing a server or reloading the operating system, for example), then you would beware of completing the connection.
furlong
2016-11-14 00:14:06 UTC
thank you for the question, and that i'm truthfully of shrewish descent while it is composed of this subject. i became going to purpose and write a poetic reaction yet i'm no longer able. only pretend it extremely is in blankety sparkling verse. I skim the hoi polloi for the unusual identify yet I easily have been neglecting Dahha, and Jellz, i haven't glanced at Darbz in a on a similar time as. I omit Jack D's poems now and returned!!!! SIN wrote something cool in the previous and it became resolved until now I have been given there. If i'd desire to grant the poets i like maximum a million/2 the attention I spend on Buk and Ian. then possibly i could experience in charge for no longer being greater eclectic. I attempt and look at each and every little thing by using you, SIN, Love baby, Mek, Ma, Semper, Jack D, and that i'm particular i'm forgetting somebody significant. At THAT job I spend approximately 5 hours an afternoon in Yahoo 7 days each and every week and fail MISERABLY. So I could examine a set of "love is a flower" or "kill em all" crap to be uncomplicated??? final I checked we weren't getting paid for doing this? So a minimum of you recognize your poem has generated a stable reaction from me. Edit: Buk I wish it have been that straightforward. i'm a magnet to hostility and attitudes of superiority. i won't be able to help it yet persist with the shrink of your metallic. If i'd desire to get rid of those characteristics in ME then i could in no way darken your door returned.
Paul
2014-07-17 22:29:04 UTC
If you need help using SSH to connect to a server, device, check this site out:

http://syncrohost.com/kb/ssh-with-windows-and-mac/