Question:
I've got a large csv database file (692100 rows) and I have to sort it by a column. how to do please?
Б℮ﻛŦ└ΩΩρ
2007-08-19 10:34:01 UTC
I'm not a programmer and I have not excel. I'm using openoffice. I want to open it with the spreadsheet but it's too large; I just need to order it by a field (column) which has only numbers, and then remove duplicates using "csved"; any ideas? also it would be good a software which split csv or textual files without modifying any row, so that I can handle each file through excel. thaaaaaaaank you!
Three answers:
merlot7799
2007-08-19 10:43:01 UTC
I can probably help you. Are the fields in the csv file fixed-width? What is the delimiter?

I can probably write a quick .php routine to do it for you, if you give me some particulars about the file. You can E-mail me at merlot7799 at oohay backwards dot com
2007-08-19 18:05:12 UTC
Excel has a limit of 65,535 rows, which is about 10% of what you need.

What you need is a database. You should be able to open or import a .cvs file into almost any database.

Going up in learning complexity are:

Microsoft Access (No limit on number of records, but a total file size limit of about 1 GB). MS Access is not free but many people have it. Access' Help explains a simple way to "delete duplicates" from a table.

OpenOffice has a free database call Punch, which is comparable to MS Access. You should already have Punch or be able to get it for free.

MySQL is free and very powerful. You control it with another free program call MyPhpAdmin. You can download them both for free.

To start, look for a database in the version of OpenOffice that you have, and see if it will work for you.
uppinrajesh
2007-08-19 19:25:19 UTC
hope you are on some unix else get cygwin on windows

sort -n -t + file > newsortedfile