Question:
what is the I/O bottleneck?
dlia_2000
2006-02-15 16:45:14 UTC
what is the I/O bottleneck?
Two answers:
mktcatfish
2006-02-15 16:55:44 UTC
I/O bottleneck is a generic term used to describe when you have too many processes that require data to be exchanges at the same time. Most common to see that term used when discussing a computer system...it may have fast cpu with fast memory and motherboard...but slow hard disk...since the computer will be trying to swap data to the hard disk frequently..the disk will not be able to keep up...
nicey_zzzz
2006-02-16 01:07:58 UTC
Mr. Augusta is somewhat correct, if slightly longwinded.

An I/O bottleneck occurs anytime you need data from a source faster than it can supply it, thereby causing other things to wait.