Question:
Jsp or other languages?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Jsp or other languages?
Five answers:
Heather
2016-03-27 08:06:59 UTC
PHP is a little bit more versatile than ASP in my opinion. Both are good server-side scriping but PHP is used by a much wider variety of servers than ASP. CFL like the person stated above is easier, but you wont have the versatility as you would have in PHP. So, I say, stick with PHP!!
kicky1001
2006-02-25 06:37:03 UTC
It depends upon project...
sks
2006-02-25 00:21:48 UTC
JSP is a part of J2EE environment.

It depends on the context - if you are planning to use J2EE then JSP is the choice. Otherwise you have options like ASP or PHP.
marie
2006-02-25 00:11:45 UTC
no
rajeevacharya
2006-02-25 01:46:13 UTC
To decide whether JSP is a good option, depends on a lot of factors.

Personally, I would say, JSP is a good choice for web development for the following reasons:

1. The technology is "free" to use

2. Code written in JSP can be run off any Java/J2EE container which are available for most operating system environments, like Windows and Unix/Linux, thus following the "write once, run anywhere" paradigm.

3. There is a lot of online help available with a huge community of Java/J2EE developers

4. It is a choice for most big companies for their "active" websites, more so for finacial companies, most buying/selling websites etc (so many jobs ;))

5. Servers/Containers for JSP are relatively less expensive their most of their counterparts

6. It is very powerful, in which you can embed pure Java code, JavaScripts, call Beans, access objects directlty, use the Core Java API for many tasks, use the JSTL (Java Standard Template Libraries) to simplify everyday tasks like looping through an array to display the values etc.

7. Its open source, and so there is a huge community of people developing it, and also developing other modules to simply tasks, which are also in many cases, "free" to use. Eg, for Reporting, you have BIRT as opposed to Crystal Reports in .NET

8. There are many "free" IDEs to assist in JSP pages and other J2EE solution developments such as NetBeans, Eclipse

9. Database connectivity for active pages is easier, and is offered in many flavors such as ones written in pure Java code, and ones written using native API to enhance performance. Works beautifully with database systems such as MySQL ("free"), Oracle, DB2 and even MS SQL

There are many other differences, rather advantages that make JSPs a good choice, over counterparts such as ASP and PHP.

Ofcourse, it has its disadvantages, such as a lot of code has to be written by hand, rather an a drag and drop environment in ASP/ASP.NET. Also, some people argue about performance issues between JSP pages and ASP/PHP, which I don't have much authority to talk about.

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask for more clarifications!

Thanks.